Netjets started out as a company called Executive Jet
Aviation, retired WW2 military generals and pilots started the company shortly
after WW2 in 1964. The company grew stedily with proper leadership figures in
key positions of their company. “In 1984, when Richard Santulli purchased EJA
and created the NetJets program – and with it, the concept of fractional
ownership – we truly cemented our place in the record books.” (Netjet, 2017) This
company basically provides affordable private air charter service, a much cheaper
option that owning an aircraft and more reliable than airlines. In 1998, Warren
Buffet was so captivated by the company as a customer he bought the company
adding it to the Berkshire-hathaway family (the richest most profiting company
in the world at the time). “From then on, with Berkshire’s backing, NetJets has
had unmatched resources to invest in whatever it takes to always be the best
and safest player in the industry.”(Netjet, 2017) I agree with their statement,
it’s understandable that they would have the highest quality of safety and
professionalism with the help of Berkshire’s resources and money obviously. I
could not find any job listings in the company currently, typically they hire
within and pilots average about 10,000 hours.
I found Barr Air Patrol which is a company that has specialized
in aerial pipeline patrol since 1940. There are currently looking to hire a
patrol captain to basically fly at minimum flight altitude to take pictures of
damage to pipelines and communicate damages to customers. Flight time is about
25 hours a week and must live within an hour of KCXO, Conroe Texas. The company
requires 1,500 hours and 1,000 PIC time. Salary is about $50,000 and benefits and
paid vacations included.
Flying corporate vs flying for the airlines is an interesting
decision for most pilots. In one hand every airline is expected to be or
already is short on pilots, so therefore they have increased their starting pay
to be competitive with other aviation jobs such as corporate jobs. Corporate
aviation jobs usually have a much higher starting pay and higher salaries in
the first 10 years. That was the main reason pilots went to a corporate company
because of the higher starting pay and ability to make a decent living in a
shorter period of time. Now it seems airlines have passed the corporate world significantly
in terms of pay for pilots. Also working for a corporate company the pilot is
often times on-call and needs to report within hours of being called. Working
for the airlines, pilots usually have a set schedule and can pick and choose
their routes after having some seniority in the company.
I wouldn’t say this assignment alone has changed my career
plans, but the information I have obtained this semester through guest speakers
and other research assignments have made an influence. For the last few years I
have been telling myself I wanted to fly for a corporate company eventually
because I wanted to fly important executives and/or celebrities. However it
appears the airline industry is the placed to be as a pilot. The pay and benefits
are unmatched by any other sector in the aviation industry.
References
Netjets (2017) Retrieved from https://www.netjets.com/Home/
I like how much detail you went into when looking into the history of Net Jets, I learned something. I felt the same way regarding this assignment it did not change my plan but broadened my spectrum on what I have the potential of doing. I also agree the airlines are the best option.
ReplyDelete